“Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them,
for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."
|Pilgrim’s expectations for youth desiring to become confirmed members of the parish include:
It is believed that by fulfilling these expectations, youth will gain a knowledge and understanding of the Bible and Luther's Small Catechism sufficient for them to confirm the faith and examine themselves in preparation for the right use of Holy Communion.
- regular attendance at Worship Services,
- regular attendance at Sunday School, and
- regular attendance at Wednesday Youth Catechesis and successful passage of both Lutheranism 102 and Lutheranism 103.
Wednesday Youth Catechesis: The purpose/goal is to teach Pilgrim’s youth the Lutheran understanding and confession of the words of the Bible and Luther’s Small Catechism and how the faith informs and influences all aspects of our lives as Christians. These classes begin in the students’ 5th grade year.
Lutherism 101 - The Words of Luther’s Small Catechism:
Lutheranism 102 – The Meaning of Luther’s Small Catechism:
- Prerequisite: None
- Taught by lay volunteers (approved by the pastors and Board of Elders), this class is for all youth, regardless of age or grade, who need assistance in learning and reciting Six Chief Parts of Luther's Small Catechism (Concordia Publishing House, 2017).
- Prerequisite: Successful recitation of both the primary text and explanations of the Six Chief Parts of Luther's Small Catechism (Concordia Publishing House, 2017) to one of the pastors during the summer months preceding the entry into the class.
- Taught by Pastor Raffa, this class will further explore the meaning of the words; youth will learn to articulate the confession of the Church. This class will work through a 30-Lesson Catechism Study (Concordia Publishing House, 2018) workbook, which reviews the 2017 CPH edition of Luther’s Small Catechism with explanation.
Lutheranism 103 – Lutheran Apologetics:
Participants are asked to complete a registration form prior to September each year. It is available online or by contacting the church office at 262-334-0375 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prerequisite: Successful passage of Lutheranism 102
- Taught by Pastor Fisher, this class will teach youth to articulate and defend Christianity in general and Lutheranism in particular. This class is meant to prepare youth as much as possible for the many contrary voices of the world and our sinful flesh which will assault their faith for the rest of their lives.