Dr. Martin Luther's seal expresses his theology and his faith. He designed it himself.
LCMS Web Development Resources: Logos and Graphics / LCMS / Kathy.Miels@lcms.org / citied April 29, 2001
- In the center is a black cross indicative of Christ's dreadful sacrifice on the cross for every sinner who ever lived.
- The cross is in the center of a red heart, to show that faith causes love, joy and peace to grow in the human heart.
- The red heart is on a white rose (Luther's favorite flower) because white is the color of angels and blessed spirits.
- The white rose is against a blue-sky background to symbolize the Christian's hope for the coming joys of heaven.
- The seal is enclosed in a gold ring, showing that the bliss of heaven is unending.